weak brakes

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jul 26 2009 - 20:09:58 EDT

Ok, guys, I have a stupid problem and I am not sure what to look at to
fix it.

The brakes on my truck have always been stop-on-a-dime good, even stock.
  when I wore out the first set at 70k or so, I gave ceramic pads a try.
  at first I loved them, all of the stopping power, and none of the
dust. The downside seemed to be that they literally ATE the stock
rotors. From 70 to about 110k, I went through 3 sets of rotors, yet the
pads continued to look new. from 110k to 125k I didn't drive the truck
much, so it sat most of the week and the rotors rusted... At 120K or so
I swapped the ceramic pads and the stock rotors. The ceramics had not
even worn off the bevel noticibly. Then about 130k or so I got some
dimpled/slotted rotors and tossed them on.

Arguably, I should have a pretty quick stopping truck now with new
Ceramic pads and new high-zoot rotors, but I don't. Apparently I have a
crappy combination, because I have driven truck with drums all around
that stopped better. Even with the "light" 17" tires on, it seems to
take an inordinate abount of pedal force to stop. Where i used to have
to modulate my foot pressure to avoid activating the anti-lock, now I
don't.

Low speed stops aren't as bad as high speed or towing stops. putzing
around town, things work almost [albeit less] as effectively as before,
but even dragging a light trailer totally exacerbates the problem.

My Mechanic buddy showed me how to test the brake booster, and I notice
a difference with the BB disconnected, for the worse, so he doesent
think the BB is Mahtzoed(tm).

So. *I* think my problem is those ceramic pads and I am considering
switching pads and dumping the Ceramics in favor of something else. To
that end, any suggestions on what pads I should try? If not the Pads,
what else can/should I look at?