Re: Got some new wheels/tires

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jul 26 2009 - 19:24:22 EDT

Well, I tried the pro-comps *because* they came siped on the center
tread blocks. On paper it seems like a tremendous idea, but the reality
  of it is that the tread blocks on a mud tire just don't have the
lateral support that the tread blocks on a passenger tire have, so the
only thing they have is their size. Siping allows the rubber to flex in
smaller pieces, compared to the original and gives you extra biting
edges, however, the few extra edges you get reduce the tire life wholly
out of proportion to their effectiveness. As an example, if you were to
gain 5% traction, at the cost of 40% of your treadlife... would you
consider it worth it? On a competition machine where that 5% is the
difference between 1st and first looser, absolutely, on a daily driver,
not so much.