Re: ball joint service kit?

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 00:54:44 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> ffastje <ffastje@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if any one knows if the ball joint kit
>>from harbor freight would fit on 1999 Dakota 4X4 or does
>>anyone know the diameter of the lower ball joints?
>>They also have a 4X4 kit but only online not at my local store.
>

> I can't tell you if it will fit on a '99 Dakota unfortunately, but
> I do have that kit (p/n 38335), so if you need any measurements of the
> components of anything, just let me know and I'd be happy to provide
> them. I haven't actually had an opportunity to use mine yet (saw it
> at a really good price when they were on sale and couldn't resist) so
> I can't give a firsthand report, but it looks like a pretty beefy kit
> to me.
>
> Yes, it is made in China. No surprise there.

That is a pretty common ball joint press kit. I've used one, not that exact part number, but
one that was from AutoZone's loan-a-tool program. (basically the same thing) It took a little
futzing around to figure out how to use the sleeves and discs to press the lowers on my 1989
4x4. I forget what the hang up was, but for some reason I was able to press it to a certain
point, then I had to stop and readjust it or whatever to finish. But it worked. Should work
fine for 1987 to 1996. I'm less familar with the Gen III suspension however and I can't
promise it will work on yours.

Ball joint press tool trivia: When working at Autozone, I went to take one of those kits off a
higher shelf and was unprepared for the weight, allowing it to drop right on my head. I don't
recommend duplicating that procedure. :)

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck