Re: Check Gauges Light

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 22:07:27 EDT

"DAKSY" <rsmith13@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> Hey, DML,
> So I'm driving the DAKSY home on I-90 & the "Check Gauges" light comes on &
> of course I do that.
> First glance at the temp gauge - right around 190 - Cool... (pun)
> The I look at the Battery indicator & it's PEGGED to 18V...WTF?
> It's the only abnormal reading on the dash.
> I was about 12 miles from home & I figgered I'd try to keep going...
> Whaddya think? Voltage regulator MAHTZOED?
> I did notice that the odometer was sorta flickering...
> Radio was workin fine...
> Battery wasn't overly hot when I popped the hood...
> It's about a 7 month old Die Hard...
> I don't need to use it til Monday, so I got some time to fiddle...
> HAYELP!

   Is the gauge still pegged, or does it read normal now? If its
still pegged, I'd throw a multimeter on the battery terminals to see
if its really getting 18v or if it might be a gauge problem.

   As far as I know, the voltage regulator is built into the PCM, so
if it is bad, you might be looking at a new PCM, unless perhaps a
generic voltage regulator can be spliced in to take care of that task
instead of the PCM. (Course, if your PCM is going bad, it may have
more than the voltage regulation part screwed up in which case maybe a
new PCM would be the safer route?) Anyway, probably a bit premature
to be thinking about that until the problem has been diagnosed, but
just thought I'd throw it out there.

--
                                          -Jon-