Re: Christine is off the road indefinitely.

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 10:10:52 EDT

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> TerrbleTom: "My trucks frame is gone! Whaaaaahhh!!"

> DML: "Thats ok, don't give up on your money sucking project just yet! We'll help you find a
> frame! So that you may continue to obsess and spend money, instead of moving on with your life
> and finding a woman"

   Heh! That is what the DML does best - spend other people's money.
;-)

[...]
> Thanks everyone :D Your continued support will keep fueling my insanity and obsessive
> compulsive tendencies forever!

   Speaking of which... I was thinking - since the shortbed frames
are in such greater abundance, you might want to consider seeing what
it would take to stretch one of those. I know you said you don't like
frame repairs, but I think you'd be OK as long as it was done right,
by an outfit who knows what they are doing. You've already mentioned
that a tube chassis would be cool, and that's really nothing more than
a "frame repair", starting out with nothing. :-) I'm certainly no
engineer, but as long as the frame was held true, I don't see why it
couldn't be cut, a new section welded in using some thicker than
necessary steel, then box the frame in that area. Using the same sort
of idea, it might also be possible to take a club cab frame and chop a
section out to reach your desired wheelbase.

   Of course, another option (if you are not committed to the long
bed) is to put a short bed frame under it, drop a shortbox on top and
swap out the driveshaft.

   You also mentioned that the '95 club cab is definitely getting
scrapped. How is its frame? Since you've got it sitting there
already, you might want to break out the tape measure and do some
investigating. :-) Even if its frame is also too far gone, at least
that will tell you if using a club cab frame is a possibility.

   Its too bad you don't live closer, as I'd certainly be glad to help
you out with the welding and such. Seems like that has been mentioned
in the past also. :-) Then again, maybe its not such a bad thing in
the big picture... ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-