Re: Christine is off the road indefinitely.

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 11:17:21 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Speaking of which... I was thinking - since the shortbed frames
> are in such greater abundance, you might want to consider seeing what
> it would take to stretch one of those. I know you said you don't like
> frame repairs, but I think you'd be OK as long as it was done right,
> by an outfit who knows what they are doing. You've already mentioned
> that a tube chassis would be cool, and that's really nothing more than
> a "frame repair", starting out with nothing. :-)

Good points. If a solid stock frame can't be found... I'll consider stretching a short box
frame. A tube chassis would be sweet but as with stretching a frame... because I don't have
any fabrication skills or equipment, thats not something I can do. I'd have to farm it out,
which = more $$$. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get lucky and bolt everything on
to a new frame.

I'm certainly no
> engineer, but as long as the frame was held true, I don't see why it
> couldn't be cut, a new section welded in using some thicker than
> necessary steel, then box the frame in that area. Using the same sort
> of idea, it might also be possible to take a club cab frame and chop a
> section out to reach your desired wheelbase.

I don't have problems with stretching frames, its done a lot. My old boss had both of his
International cab-over Semi trucks frame stretched so he could mount generator equipment behind
the cabs. When I said "frame repair" - I was thinking that i didn't trust someone welding a
patch into an existing boxed section. Unless the entire section is replaced. I dunno.. I've
just heard stories of guys welding cracked and damaged frames only to have them come apart at
the worst possible time.

> Of course, another option (if you are not committed to the long
> bed) is to put a short bed frame under it, drop a shortbox on top and
> swap out the driveshaft.

I am commited to the long box. I have a slide in camper that I want to put on the back of it
and use for road trips. My long term plans for Christine are to build her up into a strong,
daily driver that I can take on camping trips. With some added goodies thrown in. (read:
winch, lights, whatever) The 8 foot bed length would make for excellent camper space.

> You also mentioned that the '95 club cab is definitely getting
> scrapped. How is its frame? Since you've got it sitting there
> already, you might want to break out the tape measure and do some
> investigating. :-) Even if its frame is also too far gone, at least
> that will tell you if using a club cab frame is a possibility.

I've thought about doing just that, but again, I have not gotten around to it.

> Its too bad you don't live closer, as I'd certainly be glad to help
> you out with the welding and such. Seems like that has been mentioned
> in the past also. :-) Then again, maybe its not such a bad thing in
> the big picture... ;-)

LOL MMm yeah we've talked about that before. Its like Norah once said to me, never let you
and Jason get together and start brainstorming on stuff. Its just not a good idea LOL! I
suspect that with your fabrication skills and my special blend of imaginative insanity...
Christine might just emerge from DML HQ, quite alive - much like her hollywood counterpart. LOL

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck