Re: RE: $#@$#@ rear diff

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 10:27:31 EDT

Matt Beazer <teseract@moparhowto.com> wrote:
> What happens if you remove the driveshafts and drive around, other than
> having no 4wd? They bolt to the front axle, does anything pop out if
> the tension of the axles being there is gone?

> Just thinking it'd be a good test, they don't look very hard to get out
> when you don't have to dink with pulling splines out of a tranny like
> you do with a FWD car.

   Not a bad idea, but he should check first to see if there is an
axle disconnect on his truck. I don't recall offhand if the Dakota
used a CAD or not. If it did, I believe it was done away with at some
point, as I don't think Ed's 2000 has one. Anyway, without a CAD, the
only disconnect for the front end is in the transfer case, so
everything will continue to spin.

   Also, since the Dak never had locking hubs AFAIK, the axles will
continue to spin even if it did have a CAD, so if its an axle
problem, that might not be enough to stop the noise since they will
still be spinning.

   Does it do it all the time, or only on turns, etc.? Does it need
to be under load? Building on Matt's idea, As long as a load or
turning is not required, you may want to put the truck up on
jackstands and let it idle in gear. At least that way you can go
around the truck while it is "moving".

--
                                          -Jon-