Re: longbed/short bed wheel base

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 11:29:41 EDT

Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy) wrote:

> From Jon
>
> (I dunno why - seems like it would have been easier to
> simply use the long bed's frame and just change a couple of the cab
> and bed mounts, but they must have a reason to go to that extra
> trouble and expense?)
>

> My guess is it was done for weight and balance issues. Otherwise there'd
> be absolutely no reason to do that.
>

> Jim

Well it might have been simply for aesthetics physical lay out. if you look at the Dakotas,
the rear wheel wells (with the exception of the quad cabs) are centered in the middle of the
beds. If they had kept the 124 inch wheel base on the club cabs, the rear tire would be almost
at the edge of the club cab. You would have had a truck that looked very out of proportion.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck