Re: Christine is off the road indefinitely.

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 11:30:08 EDT

On Aug 6, 2009, at 11:17 , Terrible Tom wrote:

> I've just heard stories of guys welding cracked and damaged frames
> only to have them come apart at the worst possible time.

only when it's not done correctly.

it's a moot point in this case since it appears none of the metal is
strong and there really is nothing good to weld to. The key is that
once the crack is repaired it needs to be plated over. Vertical welds
also must be avoided. Fish plates on a frame should be shaped like
this <=>, not like this [=]. square corners and vertical welds are
bad news.

Mike