Re: Christine is off the road indefinitely.

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 11:35:01 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2009, at 02:11 , Mr. David C. Wilker Jr. wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry guys, but am I correct in understanding that Christine
>> needs a new
>> frame? If so, what year/configuration is she? I live in CA, so there are
>> many rust free examples about!
>

> A Gen I or Gen II longbed regular cab 4x4 is what's needed.
>
> I won't bother keeping my eyes peeled around here. Anything I find
> will be at least as bad as what you have now.
>
> Mike

Yeah thats the truth. Best odds for finding good steel is south and west. Anything north of
Tennessee and east of the Mississippi, will most likely be a rust bucket by now.

I'm just wondering if a 2wd frame could be used for a solid axle conversion. I've heard of
that being done before. A stock 4x4 frame would just have all its suspension stuff hacked off
anyway. No different from hacking off IFS on a 2wd. But as you pointed out once before Mike,
the Dak frames are not well suited to solid axle lifts, unless you go with a lot of lift, due
to lack up uptravel clearence. Stock Jeeps dont have much up travel however... so its not THAT
big a deal if you ask me.

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck