Re: cv joint from axel shaft

From: ffastje (ffastje@cox.net)
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 18:21:02 EDT

ffastje wrote:

> Michael Maskalans wrote:
>>

>> On Aug 11, 2009, at 12:40 , ffastje wrote:
>>

>>> The factory manual says to use two pry bars against the diff
>>> houseing to remove the cv from the axel shaft. Do i have to remove
>>> the the bolts from the flange to remove the cv. The dam cv keeps
>>> spinning when i try to remove the bolts and it pissing me off!!!
>>> :-[
>>
>> If yours is the (my term:) "normal" kind with the flange with 6 bolts
>> at the flange hanging off the center section, yes those bolts need to
>> be pulled. you can probably jam it with a wrench on one of the bolts
>> while breaking others free. I'd use a pipe wrench on the axle shaft
>> as a last resort. You did break the hub nut free while the tire was
>> still on the ground, right? if you don't have air to break these free
>> you'll never get that off without the tire holding it. You're looking
>> at at least 200 pound feet to break that mother free. I think torque
>> spec is 165 ft-lbs.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Mike thanks for the reply yes i did break the hub nut with tire on the
> ground. I thought i could do the pry bar thing . guess not. So ill put
> it all back together and break all those bolts loose first .Tried
> holding it with a wrench and using air lets just say I'm 1 wrench
> short now.
> Pipe wrench would work but i'll just put it back together those bolts
> are on there good.

So I got the freaking drive shaft out after putting every thing back
together. Busted the wheel on the aluminum racing jack. 'bummer' >:o .
So tomorrow ill start on the ball joints . Lets hope it goes better than
today. Why didn't i start learning this stuff earlier in life so i could
just pay some one else?

--
ffastje@cox.net
ffastje@gmail.com