Compression

From: Jamie Calder (jcalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 22:00:20 EDT

I have a 408 short block that's been sitting in my shed for about 4 years
now. My local machinist built it but I got the parts from a Dodge engine
builder (rods, pistons, cam, crank). In the last few years I've learned by
reading on different forums that perhaps this persons setup (specifically
pistons and cam) may not be the best combo. Before I pick up this project
again, I'd like to know if there's a way to determine what compression ratio
these pistons have. Perhaps how close the piston comes to the top of the
block? I rotated it and the edge of the piston is about half the thickness
of a dime from the top of the block, however they're dished and have valve
reliefs...
I did take pictures if it can help anyone identify these Ross pistons. Any
suggested methods for figuring this out is appreciated. I may call the guy
myself to ask but all that's on the invoice from him is "Ross Pistons"...

Thanks,
James