U joint - does it matter where the grease fitting is?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 11:20:00 EDT

I have this grease fitting on the front U joint on my front driveshaft (4x4):

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/img_4062.jpg

I can't get my grease gun on it. The regular fitting hasn't a chance of
getting in there because it's too shrouded by the surrounding yoke. I bought a
different adapter from NAPA that's narrow and is supposed to be able to reach
in there, but can't even get a straight shot with that and it just ends up
blobbing grease all over the place without much, if any, going in to the
fitting.

But, looking at it, it looks to me like if the U joint cross were put in the
other way, so that the zerk was on the other side of the joint, there would be
plenty of room for the grease gun fitting.

Before I go hunting for a shop to rework this driveshaft to flip the U joint
around, is there a reason I shouldn't do this? Does it matter whether the
grease zerk is on the "inside" (closest to the centre of the driveshaft) or
"outside" (closest to the end of the driveshaft)?