Re: '94 HOOD Latch Problem - Cable disconnected

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sun Oct 11 2009 - 18:19:24 EDT

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, rws wrote:
> Been a while.
>
> On my '94 Dakota the hood can't be opened because I believe the hood
> release cable is disconnected from the primary latch that releases
> the sprung-pin. Cable just moves freely.
>
> When I look under and through the grill all I can see is the hood
> safety latch and the bottom of the spring loaded pin coming through
> the receiver hole. I can't see the cable or primary latch. I think
> they are sandwiched inside a shallow cavity where the cable feeds
> through.
>
> Any suggestion on how I would get this opened? I'm pulling my hair
> on why it was designed like this, if a cable breaks - what's the
> remedy?

Ron,

   The cable does indeed run inside the radiator support at the top
the the grill. The cable itself is only accessible between the
firewall and the hole where it goes inside the radiator support near
the battery.

   At first I thought that you were screwed, but my '96 is parked
right outside so I popped the hood, pulled the latch out and
discovered that its pretty easy to pop the hood. (This isn't such a
good thing from a security standpoint, but its good for folks with
broken cables.) :-)

   The photos referenced below can be seen at:
jon@dakota-truck.net/gen2hoodlatch">http://www.dakota-truck.net/ATTACHMENTS/jon@dakota-truck.net/gen2hoodlatch

   First, grab a piece of 1/4" rod, or something similar, a couple of
feet long, and put a 90 degree bend on one end. A wire coat hanger
might work too, depends on how stiff your latch is. Take a look under
the hood. If you are kneeling in front of the truck, look through the
opening just to the right of the center of the grill (under the D and
G). You will see something like is shown in Gen2HoodLatchA.jpg.

   My hood latch is painted orange. If you look just to the left of
the orange latch, you will see what looks like a tube. The pin
portion of the hood latch comes down through that tube (you can see
the end of it in the pic). Take the hook tool, feed it through the
hole in the grill under the "E" and put the hook part pointed up in
front of that tube. (Gen2HoodLatchB.jpg shows the tool moving towards
the tube.) Move the tool up until it hits the underside of the latch,
then while holding it up against the latch, move it towards the
passenger side of the vehicle, you will be able to feel it slip off
the end of the latch and move up a little bit more.
(Gen2HoodLatchC.jpg shows the tool in position.) At that point, use
your left hand to maintain upwards pressure on the tool while pulling
towards the driver's side of the truck with your right hand. That
will pop the latch.

   Just to prove it can be done, there are a couple of videos in that
directory, of me popping the hood from a couple of different angles.
(Gen2HoodLatchA.avi and Gen2HoodLatchB.avi)

   I hope that helps! Actually, I'd like to thank you for the
question, since I'm sure my cable will break someday, and now I know
what to do when it does. Its sure a lot easier to reverse engineer a
solution on a working vehicle where you can access the latch mechanism
first. :-)

   Good luck!

--
                                          -Jon-