Re: U joint - does it matter where the grease fitting is?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 00:44:29 EDT

On Sunday 11 October 2009 16:14:31 jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> I'm certainly no u-joint expert so you may want to verify this from
> other sources, but my understanding is that with greasable u-joints
> you want to always mount them such that the zerk fitting will be under
> compression as power is applied.

I've read that somewhere. Maybe it was here.

> In the photo you posted, I'm assuming that the transfer case is to
> the right in the picture.

Nope, the front diff is to the right, where the four bolts are. The transfer
case is on the other end of the shaft, off to the left. Rotation, if I recall
correctly, is clockwise (looking forward), but I'd have to verify that to be
sure. It does fit with your theory that the zerk should be compressed, though.

Since I'm just looking to move the zerk to the other side of the same relative
position, it'll still be in compression. I just want to get it unshrouded so I
can get the grease gun on it.

> I don't know how much difference this actually makes in a real
> world scenario.

With a V6 that is primarily street driven, on stock sized tyres, using 4WD in
the winter since I live in the middle of cornfields and winter snow and wind
make travel interesting, I'm thinking there's probably not enough stress on
this joint that you'd actually notice, one way or the other. As you say, maybe
if I were building a 1000HP dual turbo nitrous motor, I'd be worried about
things like zerk locations on the U joints.