Re: AOL write up on Chrysler changes...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Nov 07 2009 - 17:15:14 EST

"Tom Byrne" <kerib@ptd.net> wrote:
[...]
> Daimler made a bad situation worse, but it did not cause the problem. If
> Dieter Zetsche was in charge from the beginning, things may have been
> different. The new RWD cars and big trucks would have gone over well in 1999
> and 2000 and maybe he wouldn't have let the passenger car business languish.
> The idea that Chrysler was just fine prior to the merger (take over) is a
> myth. I was trading Chrysler bonds at the time. I had the research and all
> financial statement info at my disposal.

   From what I have read, some insiders have basically said that the
beginning of the end was when Iacocca picked Eaton as CEO instead of
Lutz. Not being an insider myself obviously, I can't confirm or deny
that, but it sounds feasable as Eaton does seem to have done a pretty
good job of screwing things up; his crowning "achievement" being that
of handing the company over to Schrempp. Apparently there was a
pretty major group of talent that bailed at the same time Eaton took
over, which probably didn't help.

--
                                          -Jon-