Re: Re: I'm pissed off...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 18:09:08 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2009, at 3:00 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>> Yep - I hear the fuel pump (lift pump?) can be a bit finnicky and
>> super
>> expensive, but fortunately I haven't had any personal experience with
>> that on mine.

> the lift pumps are notorious for going out on the VP44 (98.5 and newer
> - 24v) trucks and then killing the injection pump. on the P7100
> trucks (98.0 and older - 12v) they don't go out as often and don't
> kill the IP so quickly when they do. I think I recall that your
> dually is a 2002 or so? I'd put a fuel pressure gauge or light on it
> myself. Cheap insurance.

   That's probably a good idea; I have been thinking of doing
something along those lines for a while now, but procrastinating. :-)
I've actually been thinking about getting one of the various "power
programmers" that are available. I believe there are several
offerings, but I haven't looked into it far enough to tell which is
the one to get yet. I believe some of them might have the fuel
pressure built in, in which case if I got a box, I wouldn't need a
separate guage.

   The thing though is that I don't really need the box for more
power, the stock drivetrain has been more than adequate for what I
need, and I certainly don't want to crank the thing up and shorten the
lifespan of the engine or tranny, or get to the point where I need to
start monitoring a whole bunch of stuff (EGTs, etc.) to keep the motor
alive. If anything, I would mostly be interested in such a device to
increase the fuel economy, if possible, though I must admit it could
be useful in certain circumstances to be able to hit a button and have
a hundred extra pound feet at my disposal. :-)

   Just haven't had the time and it hasn't been a priority though.
Meh, maybe I should just get the fuel pressure gauge like you said.
:-)

--
                                          -Jon-