Re: Re: I'm pissed off...

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 14:39:11 EST

On Nov 8, 2009, at 21:44 , jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 8, 2009, at 6:09 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>>> I've actually been thinking about getting one of the various "power
>>> programmers" that are available. I believe there are several
>>> offerings, but I haven't looked into it far enough to tell which is
>>> the one to get yet.
>
>> a friend of mine with an 02 6sp recently picked up a Quadzilla. It
>> included an EGT and trans temp probe, most of the rest uses stock
>> monitoring I believe. It made quite a ridiculous difference in both
>> power and milage. I don't think you'd have anything at all to worry
>> about with the NV5600, but the stock clutch may not be up for high
>> power levels while towing. His is holding so far...
>

> Cool. :-) I should probably look into that if I don't have to
> worry about the drivetrain too much. The only problem though is that
> I've got the automatic (47RE I believe)

oh. unless you want to commit to transmission work I wouldn't do
anything to it then :-(
If it's new enough to have the 48RE, I think those can take a bit more
power, but I don't think folks hopping up their trucks had too much
luck with 47s in stock form. They can be built, just like anything
else, but I'd probably leave well enough alone personally. I haven't
looked into it too deeply since I only have to care about manual 5 ond
6 speeds for all the trucks I deal with here.

> As you know with these trucks its kind've a "beggars can't be
> choosers" kinda deal. The truck was low mileage and a good price so I
> compromised on my wish list.

Yeah, they rather fall into the "pick 2" of fast good and cheap. If
you want to pay, or can wait forever, or accept something that has
been whipped, you can get the truck you want. I think I found one
that's a bit whipped with the high miles and rocker rot but otherwise
I'm really happy with it. 3.73s would be my gears of choice but they
were not an option, only 3.55s and 4.10s. I'd have not chosen a
dually but now that I have it I absolutely LOVE it. I'd have
preferred the '98+ interior but I can live with the 94-97 iteration.

> When I was looking for a truck, I
> actually printed out a list the size of a 3x5 card with exactly what I
> was looking for and what I would accept and handed them out to a bunch
> of the local used car/truck dealerships, especially the franchises
> with a bunch of dealers to pull from, but had no bites.

haha! I was just looking to sell my Jetta semi-seriously so I could
purchase a tow rig and a fellow wheeler offered this in trade. I
rather fell into it.

> In your situation, maybe it would be worth looking into something
> like a Gear Vendors overdrive? Those things aren't cheap, but in your
> case, having to swap out two sets of gears would probably equal a
> hefty down payment on an overdrive.

I've thought about how nice a GearVendors would be but I think they're
around 3 grand. I'd rather spend less than a grand and just put 3.73s
in it. Sadly Jim, they're both Dana axles so it's all shims. No
threaded collars like the 8.25 and 14 bolt have. I'm putting a taller
tire on it too, looking to do 8r19.5s. I have the wheels and they're
ready to go on as soon as I spraybomb them but the transmission thing
completely killed all my fundage for tires on both trucks...

I might end up spending $250 or so on a pair of new BFG ATs and keep
the 16s on the truck through the winter much as I don't want to. My
drives are bald and I have to do something. I have two mismatch
pattern other brand ATs I can put on the front, and I can move the
like new AT steers to the drives and buy a pair for the other side.
Or I can spend about $600 on recap drives and run the rib steers I
have sitting around. I'm not too excited about highway rib tires in
the winter though, sorta defeats the purpose of bothering to have 4
wheel drive.

Meh, I'll figger it oot :)

Mike