Re: Re: I'm pissed off...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 21:44:37 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2009, at 6:09 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>> I've actually been thinking about getting one of the various "power
>> programmers" that are available. I believe there are several
>> offerings, but I haven't looked into it far enough to tell which is
>> the one to get yet.

> a friend of mine with an 02 6sp recently picked up a Quadzilla. It
> included an EGT and trans temp probe, most of the rest uses stock
> monitoring I believe. It made quite a ridiculous difference in both
> power and milage. I don't think you'd have anything at all to worry
> about with the NV5600, but the stock clutch may not be up for high
> power levels while towing. His is holding so far...

  Cool. :-) I should probably look into that if I don't have to
worry about the drivetrain too much. The only problem though is that
I've got the automatic (47RE I believe) and I don't know very much
about their longevity. I suspect the manual is stronger. I tried to
find a 4x4 stick (6 speed would have been sweet) but didn't have any
luck. As you know with these trucks its kind've a "beggars can't be
choosers" kinda deal. The truck was low mileage and a good price so I
compromised on my wish list. When I was looking for a truck, I
actually printed out a list the size of a 3x5 card with exactly what I
was looking for and what I would accept and handed them out to a bunch
of the local used car/truck dealerships, especially the franchises
with a bunch of dealers to pull from, but had no bites. My brother
actually found the truck for me, he was working as a salesman in a
Florida Saab dealership at the time.

> He has 3.55 gears and is running roughly 33" tires, and got something
> like 14.6mpg towing his Jeep back from Rausch at around 70mph the
> first trip after he got it.

> I'm severely jealous but I'm sure that with fixed timing and 4.10
> gears my 12v will never compete. I'll be happy if I can get it to
> 15mpg empty at this point.... I think I should throw a set of
> injectors in it and I bet I'll pick up a lot. I advanced my timing
> and picked up a LOT of power and a bit of economy already but I really
> hate the 4.10s. I like to do 70+ and I'm geared to do about 58. That
> resulted in a lot of shopping around when the trans went out, but the
> only thing I could do to get more overdrive would be an Allison
> automatic swap and I have no interest in that.

  Yeah, I have the 4.10s as well. I would have preferred 3.55s; 4.10s
behind this engine is overkill, IMHO (for my use anyway) - but, see
above for the whole "beggars can't be choosers" thing. I suppose I
could install different gears but it just hasn't been a priority. I
bought the truck in Florida and at about 70mph got 21mpg on the way
home which is not too shabby for a 6,000lb brick. (Haven't seen that
kind of mileage since then though, but most of my driving is local and
the long haul stuff is usually with a trailer.) I definitely notice
the 4.10s on the highway though - I don't know what the ratio is in
the trans, but the overdrive feels pretty tall when it kicks in. Even
so, 70 is about the max I felt comfortable with on the highway, the
motor is humming pretty good at that speed.

  In your situation, maybe it would be worth looking into something
like a Gear Vendors overdrive? Those things aren't cheap, but in your
case, having to swap out two sets of gears would probably equal a
hefty down payment on an overdrive. Couldn't be used in 4wd of
course, but might help on the highway?

   Dak content: Dodge needs to put a diesel in the Dakota. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-