Re: Opinions: To Shift into

From: teseract@moparhowto.com
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 21:38:58 EST

In article <b26be6d90911151823p63f65b6av4ff899ee8c810762@mail.gmail.com>,
andy.levy@gmail.com (Andy Levy) writes:

> Unless a lot of those intersections have you stopping on an uphill,
> you aren't going to need the 4WD. Toss about 200 pounds of sand in the
> bed over the axle, with decent tires, and you'll be fine.
>
> If you're used to driving a 2WD in those conditions, you really are
> not going to need 4WD that much as long as you have good tires on the
> truck.

Yeah, that's the problem, I'm not used to how RWD behaves in the snow/ice yet,
so I'll be leaning on the 4x4 more than an experienced RWD driver would. The
suregrip just makes that trickier, especially coming off side streets and
getting up to speed with oncoming traffic. FWD you give it gas and it spins
and pulls in the direction you aim it. RWD with a limited slip the rear end
wants to spin in circles. ;)

The truck has 30x9.5x15" Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's on it with ~1500 miles on
'em. Hand siped inner tread blocks with a tire grooving iron to enhance ice
traction. I might end up doing more siping if it's not up to par on ice,
though I'd rather avoid it since it's a PITA.

And yes, sandbags are on my shopping list!

MattB