oil burner conversion?

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Nov 28 2009 - 03:26:17 EST

Was driving home tonight at 1:30 AM and for some reason I started
thinking about diesel conversions for my Dakota. Understand that I am
half asleep right now, so there is definitely a bit of Tom-Think(tm)
going on, but I was wondering, what donor motors could be used, and what
would be the advantages of each?

Ram Cummins: the obvious choice, but entirely too big to be a really
practical conversion?

Liberty CRD: The size is prolly right, but the power seems anemic and
it's probably hard to find

GC 3.0L: This seems like a better choice both from a size and power
profile....

Sprinter V6 [possibly the same v6 from the GC?] or I5: can be had in a
factory turbo config, and these are designed to be more truck engines as
compared to the liberty/grand varieties..

What else?

Understand, this was a product of 2 hours of tired, turkey stuffed,
driving boredom. I haven't looked any of this up yet. In fact if I
don't hit send, I likely won't even remember this tomorrow morning...
Yup, lotsa Tom-Think(tm) going on tonight.

So, what motor would you chose and why? If it were me, I would want as
close to bolt in and factory trouble free as I could get. I am sure you
could get one of the 6.7L's stuffed in there if you tried hard enough,
but the end result would look like those S10 V8 conversions....Bleah.