Re: Re: oil burner conversion?

From: SilverEightynine@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 11:39:50 EST

In article <het4rq$9f6$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> Bob N <bocd@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > What's the HP on the turbo version of this motor?
>

> About 130hp, 350lb-ft but of course they can be modified much
> higher. I could be wrong as I'm certainly no expert on this engine,
> but I think all of the 4BT motors are turbocharged; same as the 6cyl -
> I think that entire family is a turbodiesel line. In fact, I believe
> "turbocharged" is what the "T" stands for in 4BT.
>

> > I'd like to build a motor to replace my 3.9 and was also thinking about how
> > heavy the 5.9 is...I already have tire rubbage
>

> Do you mean the 5.9L Magnum? If that is too heavy, then the I4
> Cummins would definitely be a problem; even though its the "baby"
> Cummins, its about 750lbs!

During one of my late night winter hibernation cabin fever sessions... I have
pondered the diesel route as well. The 5.9 cummins and even the 3.9 I4 Cummins
are not awesome choices for Daks, due simply to their weight issues. Keep in
mind power to weight ratios... Yes the engines can be tweaked to have torque
out the ass... I had a line on a 3.9 -I4 out of a bread truck, and passed it up
because of the weight. The front suspension WILL have to be reworked (read
solid axle swap) to handle an 3.9 I4.

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/1340/

This dude did an *awesome* job with it. Engine install looks factory, but he
had to notch the frame to fit the AC compressor. That I didn't like. That
screams "STRESS FRACTURES COME ANNNND GET ITTTT!!"

That said... Ma Mopar had been working on a a crate motor version of the diesel
that was in the Liberty.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/engine/131_0807_jeep_tj_wrangler_dies
el_crate_engine/index.html

This would make much much more sense. A lighter motor than the Cummins with
more power output that what was stock in the Liberty... with some aftermarket
support, could push some big HP/TQ numbers. Unfortunately this crate motor
project seems to have faded away with the Colossal Chrysler Crisis of '09.

Locating a wrecked Liberty CRD model might be the best way to go. As for me
personally... I have a well functioning 318 that I have logged very little seat
time with, since its install. I'm not going oil burner just yet.

-TerribleTom