valve cover info in 2000 FSM

From: Bill Pitz (bill@pitz.net)
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 12:50:56 EST

Am I blind? I can't seem to find any reference to removal and
installation (or more importantly, torque specs) for the valve covers on
a 4.7L in my 2000 FSM.

The short version of the story is that I seem to have a small amount of
oil seeping through the valve cover gaskets. I don't see much in the
way of "wet" oil -- most of it is fairly crusty with dust. I haven't
been too worried about it because I don't appear to be losing any
substantial amount of oil -- I'm at just over 3000 miles since my last
oil change and the oil level is still EXACTLY at the top of the "Safe"
range. In almost 88,000 miles, I have never had to add any oil.

Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated. As a stupidly easy first
step, I was going to check all of the bolts to make sure they're tight.
  Early on (~20,000 miles) the dealer found that they were loose, so
some part of me hopes that this is the same thing.

Thanks,

-Bill