RE: Brake Light Wiring

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jan 23 2010 - 20:01:36 EST

If it's wired anything like the GenIII '97-'04s, check for an extra wire
just hanging out behind the rear bumper on the harness that goes between the
two taillamps. This is the brake signal wire that would be used with say a
trailer wiring harness. It's just one wire so you will still need to
provide the ground, but it works. IIRC on mine it was black with a green
tracer, but it's been a while since I had to look for it. You can trace it
back in the harness along the drivers side to wherever you need to tap into
it. I taped into mine just under the bed right behind the cab for the third
brake light on my tonneau cover.

brian cropp