Experiences, thoughts, and observations

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Mon Feb 22 2010 - 23:26:37 EST

Vehicle::: 1995 Extended cab Dakota 2wd V8(5.2),auto
(A518/46RH). 350,000+ miles.. All power and A/C.
Facts:: About 5 years ago I cooked the engine on more than one
occasion before I finally found a radiator that would keep it cool.
All the seals were brittle and the valve seals were all in the oil
pan. This past summer it started using oil very rapidly(not
leaking - it was already leaking everywhere). I decided that I
wanted a bit more power so I opted to install a 5.9. I found one
in a salvage yard in Birmingham that I thought met the criteria
I set, so I purchased it.. It was from a '95 Ram 3500. I purchased
aftermarket heads from a place in Atlanta. Nothing HiPo, just
basic heads. Vatted the block, new cam bearings, decked the
block just to make sure it was flat then a basic rebuild. Did not
require a bore and oversized pistons. New Cam/lifters - again
just basically a stock cam.

FYI:: The '95 5.2 is internally balanced - The '95 5.9 is external.
If you plan such a transplant, the '96 5.9 is internally balanced,
so you could use the 5.2 torque converter. I had to purchase a
new one. I found no differences in the intakes or throttlebodies.
I'm running a PCM for a 5.9 Ram that the p/n starts with a P.
I think it is a MOPAR reprogrammed unit but can't remember.
Other than the oil pan catastrophe & the wiring and vacuum
lines nightmare, all went rather well. Anyone know of anything
I should watch out for??

Rebuilt tranny @ same time and installed a Transgo shift kit.
(tranny was in excellent shape - could have gotten away
with just new seals everywhere and 2 spacers(shims)).

The Ram 3500 5.9 oil pan will not fit the Dakota chassis..
It is roughly 2" too long in the deep part. (Ask me how I
know). Pulled it back out(it was still on the crane) and
installed the Oilpan from the 5.2. Bolted right up. Looked
good. Installed it into the chassis & bolted it up to the
tranny.. All is well.. Finally got all the Electricals and vacuums
hooked back up and wouldn't hit a lick... Cranked - checked all
electricals and vacuums - cranked - threw a few tools - No codes
stored by the Ign on-off 3 cycles except a 12 which is a battery
disconnect.. Well DUH!! Slept on it. Read and reread the
darn Service Manual. Finally went thru the Setup for initial
timing again(Vibration damper perfectly aligned @ 0* and the
rotor button dead on the #1 mark on the cam sensor plate). (I
initially timed it on 6* BTC) The Darn thing cranked - Had a
knock - ever so slight, but nevertheless a knock. Pulled it back
out(next day) and started rechecking Rod bearing clearances
(a real PITA) using plastigauge. Got the front 4 checked and
decided to clean up the oil pan for reinstall. There is a
"Tunnel" down the pass side of the oil pan that is a guide to
get the dipstick from the front of the engine to the rear where
the pan is deepest. Well duh!! There is one very small bright
spot on that tunnel right @ the entrance for the dipstick..
After much obversation & measuring it is perfectly aligned with
the rodbolts on # 1 rod... Just a touch with a smasll diegrinder
got rid of the knock. Cleaned up the pan and the block and
reinstalled it on the engine and reinstalled the engine in the
chassis.. Went thru all the electricals and vacuums again and
rechecked them before I even tried to crank it. fired right up -
no knock. Hooray!! (That knock would have gone away in
short order, but I would have never trusted it had I not torn it
back down far enough to find the problem, so I'm not griping
about that. Just stating my frustrations.) It runs great
but has left me stranded on 2 seperate occasions since. Once 3
miles from the house and once @ the house(basically). Still
no codes. I've checked the coil and the crank position sensor
by the test methods given in the Service Manual. All check
out as good. Hasn't died on me for over a week now, but I'm
frustrated to say the least. I have to go to Floride the 15th of
March and I plan to drive this truck.. Should I take out
towing insurance???

Any and all suggestions considered and appreciated......

Couple of Q's:: Tranny designation 46RH - what does the
R stand for?? The H is Hydraulic(I think)..

When did the A618 go into production and what is the main
difference between it & the A518????

"Except For Ending Slavery, Fascism, Nazism and Communism,
WAR has Never Solved Anything."

Azie