RE: Internal vs. External Balance

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 12:50:25 EST

Typically the 360 is externally balanced by the harmonic balancer AND the
torque converter or flexplate. The factory put the rear weights on the
converter. MP sells a kit of weights to install on the converter if you're
building a 360 and only have a neutral converter to start with...i.e. one
from a 318 or 340 or aftermarket.

Other aftermarket companies (B&M, TCI, etc) have special flexplates for the
360 that eliminate the need to add weight to a converter. As long as the
internals of the 360 are stock, the standard 360 balancer you can buy
anywhere is sufficient....plus the appropriate converter and/or weights or
flexplate. No machine shop is needed in this instance.

Ray