Re: Internal vs. External Balance

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 16:34:18 EST

"Ray Block" <BPracing@wowway.com> wrote:
> [...]

     If I read what Ray (and others) are saying correctly, when
replacing a 360 harmonic balancer or torque converter or flexplate,
as far as the balance goes, the only differentiation is "318 vs 360"?
That is, there aren't a whole bunch of different ones built with
different balances so as to match the balance of your particular
engine?

    If that is the case, I am assuming that although the 360 is
"extermally balanced", the internal imbalance which requires this
external balance is exactly the same for every 360, there is no
variation from engine to engine?

    Assuming that I have understood correctly so far, rather than
imbalance each engine the same, why the heck didn't they just build
the 360 internally balanced in the first place? Seems like this would
save a lot of money since all harmonic balancers, flexplates and
torque converters could them be shared between the 318 and 360 with no
interchange worries or the resulting confusion? Were the 360 rods and
pistons simply too heavy to add enough weight to the crankshaft with
the block clearance involved? I'm assuming there must be some good
reason - given Chrysler's stinginess and overall solid engineering
reputation, it seems like there must have been some mitigating factor
here for this one to get by both the engineers and the bean counters.

                                        -Jon-

--
Jon Steiger
Steiger Performance