Re: Internal vs. External Balance

From: John Dunlap (jsdunlap@roadkill.org)
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 13:01:02 EST

Internally balanced engines are balanced genrrally two different ways.
One is static balance, where all the pistons are machined on weight
padd which are cast into the pistons. All are machined to the weight
of the lightest piston. The same is done to the rods. Then they are
assembled with rings and bearings in place, reweighed and the process
is repeated. Crankshafts are genrrally balanced from the manufacturer.
They have weight pads also that have extra weight removed as needed
due to being weighed on a spin machine, so that the crank doesn't
have too much weight at some counter balance weight pad than at
another. Generally that is as far as most shops will do. Racers prefer
a little more exact balancing thsm that and their devices/machines
that cal and will balance the entire spinning assembly including
harmonic balancer and flywheel/torque converter. You shouldn't have to
rebalance the sponning assembly when replacing torque converter or
harmonic balancer on a street engine as these are spin balanced to
themselves from manufacturer. Does that help ?
Sent from my iPhone