RE: Internal vs. External Balance

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 15:06:34 EST

Sounds like a good build, Gary! I knew the compression was dropped in '72,
and the exhaust manifolds were different than the earlier 340's (especially
the passenger side...big change). I was fairly sure of the cast crank
changeover as well. However, the '72's also came equipped with a
Thermoquad carb which somewhat made up for the compression loss. At high
rpm it flowed a good bit better than the earlier Carter AVS carbs. I owned a
'70 340 Duster at the time and picked up some good performance with the '72
intake manifold and carb! Yes I'm old...and was buying NEW cars back in
the 60's. :) Keep us posted on your build.

Ray