RE: RE: Great News :(

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 18:08:30 EDT

So, your guy *did* indicate there were broken manifold bolts? How does he
know a particular bolt didn't just back out and fall away...or is just
loose? I'd use a probe and/or mirror to see if it's just missing or
broken. A missing or loose bolt would be a very cheap repair.

I wasn't suggesting you try to "tighten" any exhaust manifold bolts, just
see if any are loose or missing. True, if any *are* broken, it might
require head removal to get the broken part out. All depends upon
accessibility.

Some symptoms of a blown head gasket might be bubbles in your radiator,
misfires, loss of power and check engine light on.
To diagnose a "blown" head gasket you would want to do a cooling system
pressure test and a compression test. If both those test fine the gasket
isn't blown. Even if it is, I'd think a stock replacement head gasket would
be just fine as it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

Ray