Re: Used parts value

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 08 2010 - 00:48:09 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Is there any value to a set of used front CV axles, or catalytic
> converter? Even if I can get $10 out of them, I'd rather do that than
> just throw them out.
>
> I've seen core charges on the rebuilt CV axles, so I'm guessing someone
> could take mine and re-build them. And I've heard stories of cats being
> cut off vehicles in parking lots to sell for scrap. So I called my
> local junkyard to ask them this question, and the guy just laughed at
> me. However, this is Ontario, where we have to pay hazardous material /
> environmental / recycling / disposal fees. Feels like they charge some
> kind of extra fee on virtually anything that isn't edible, in addition
> to sales tax.
>
> Anyway, I figured I'd see if the situation is different anywhere else.
> If it's a laughable question everywhere, fine, at least I can figure out
> how to get rid of this stuff (hopefully without paying any fees) and
> eliminate a bit of clutter.
>
> Thanks.

CV axles may not fetch anything anywhere. Core prices on CVs range from
$10-50 bucks US... might be best to just give em to someone who
scavenges scrap. The CATS are worth money.. don't let your local bone
yard bone head fool you. If you don't want it, hang on to it and bring
it along with to the BBQ and I'll give you some cash for it. When I had
the CAT replaced on the Ram a year ago, I cut the old one off as a test
to see if it would solve the issues I was having... sure nuff it did.
Took it to get a new one put on. I got $20 for the old cat at a recycle
yard I take aluminum cans to cash them in. I know the guy was under
cutting me on the value, but I figured I wasn't going to drive all over
town trying to get the best price and wasting gas doing it, he was
offering cash up front, it was worth nothing to me to keep it. So I made
  $20 bucks and he made some bucks reselling it. Win-win situation.
I'll check around and see how much I can get for it... I'm planning on
cashing in some aluminum cans in the next week or so.

--TerribleTom