Re: Re: Unplanned Exhaust Modification

Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 04:00:54 EDT

They don't have to see it... they just have to think it's too loud to be
stock, or think it's too "shiny" to be stock, and if you can't prove
it's "factory exhaust" they'll hold you to it. Even a "factory
replacement" exhaust is illegal.

So, in WA, any old lady coming out of a muffler shop after having her
rusted out muffler replaced on her Buick with anything but a muffler
with the same part number from the dealership as was OEM, is technically
illegal and can be fined. The fine doubles for every successive ticket.

Yes, it's ridiculous, and it amounts to giving the police a license to
write blank checks, and I don't see how the state's muffler shops
operate under it... but that's how it is.

Of course, vehicles over 25 years old are specifically excluded... so
someone driving through town in a 1969 Mustang with open headers will
technically be legal.

MattB