Re: No DML BBQ this year

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 01:35:56 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Many thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier BBQ inquiry. Due to
> the projected low turnout and the insane amount of work I'd have to do
> to get ready (and the lack of time in which to do said work), I'm
> officially cancelling the BBQ for this year.
>
> No date has yet been set for Daktoberfest, and it might stay that
> way... I'll have to see how things are going once we get closer to
> fall.
>
> My apologies to the folks who were planning on coming, hopefully we'll
> be able to get together at the 2011 BBQ.

(U2's "Bad" plays in the background)

A sad day in history I must admit... a day that will be burnt into the
memory of people everywhere... right up there with the fall of the Roman
Empire... the ending of production of Ben and Jerrys Mango Lime
Sorbet... the death of the 8 foot bed option for the Dodge Dakota... and
the cancellation of the original Star Trek series after only three
seasons...

The year there was no DML BBQ... no shenanigans... no pranks... no late
night lighting of bond fires picked up on Russian satellite imagery...

I mourn the loss of our little family gathering this year... for it was
always the high point of my life for the last 8 years. Hmm - that might
actually be pathetic on my part... heh I dunno...

I remember the heydays... jeeps stretched as far down the runway as the
eye could see... a Canadian flag flying through grape vines of wrath...
a mud pit that commanded fear and respect as well as an overwhelming
desire to be conquered ... Dakotas in plentiful quantity... days when
the push rod Magnum engines ruled... and the 4.7L was a weird bird that
was transplanted over from the Jeeps...

*sighs* I lift my beer to you lads and lad-etts... heres to the former
and current members of The Dakota Mailing list... an an institution I
was both committed to and admitted to (yes thats an insane asylum joke)...

Cheers! Long Live The DML...