RE: Steering Box Replacement

Date: Fri Jul 30 2010 - 15:06:38 EDT

I know I should replace everything I'm just cheap and lazy and my
closest garage I can use is 22 miles and 40 minutes away each direction,
making it hard to do a prolonged project. I have a shop that I trust
for tasks such as this who would charge me $175 if I bring them the box,
including redoing the front end alignment when done.

I thought it might be one of the joints in the steering shaft, but the
shaft itself is in good condition and rust free. I know there's a slip
joint of some kind in the rubber boot on the shaft that people have
problems with, but when I pop the hood, leave the door open and stick my
arm through the gap between the door and the A-pillar and turn the wheel
while watching the shaft, the whole steering shaft turns as an assembly
all the way down to where it couples with the steering box with no
visible slop even if I turn the wheel hard.

Here's the condition of the shaft, as you can see, zero rust or visible
corrosion:

http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/engine04.jpg

Thanks,

M.B.