Steering Box Replacement

Date: Wed Jul 28 2010 - 01:33:11 EDT

Hello Folks,

I need to replace the steering box in my '95 Dak 4x4 in the near future
due to a fun noise that's somewhere between a "clack" and a "ping" at
low speeds while turning the wheel (parking lots).

My question is, should I replace the power steering pump and lines at
the same time? I usually do this on rack and pinion steering as when a
rack goes bad it usually loads up the fluid with metal particles. I've
not taken a sample to look at my Dakota's fluid yet, but I'm assuming if
it's cleam and the pump works well I'm fine to just replace the box?

Thanks,
M.B.