Rear Shocks

From: Robert Schultz (rob@schultzfamily.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 21:51:31 EDT

Another question since you all, have so much time on your hands :-)

How long should aftermarket shocks last?

I've had the Hotchkis 2/4 drop with Bilstein shocks in the truck since
about 2005.

For about a year, the rear was more like a 5" drop and it was pretty
common for me to blow through the rear suspension right to the stops. I
finally got around top having an additional leaf added to solve the
problem. Now it seems that htere's abit of wallowing in the rear leading
me to believe the shocks light be done.

The passenger side cover is torn up, I think from being fully compressed
far too often.

Jumping on the bumper doesn't tell me much, as everything is still
pretty stiff.

There is an annoying squeak from that side, but I doubt that's the shock.

Ahh, the joys of a minimally maintained 10 year old truck. Sigh. Wife's
car been eating all our maintenance dollars.

Rob S.

2000 4.7l QC, 5spd., Hotchkis, Hurst.