Re: Headers or new manifolds?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Sep 21 2010 - 00:26:16 EDT

Chris <chris_blm@comcast.net> wrote:

> Getting time to replace the entire exhaust system. Temporary repairs on
> the exhaust manifold flanges are not holding, and the cat and y-pipe have
> over 100k and are starting to rust.

    Starting to rust at 100k? Dang, I think mine started to rust on
the drive home from the dealership! :-) Or did you mean that its
finally starting to rust through?

> I found great deals on everything except for exhaust manifolds/headers.
> There is a good deal on the right-hand OEM manifold for $65, but why
> cannot I find anything for the left side (drivers)?

> Are there any decent headers under $500???

    Headers aren't a bad way to go for some extra power (and they help
to pull heat out of the heads also and reduce the tendency for
preignition) but it sounds like you are looking to replace the exhaust
manifolds because they are no longer servicable as opposed to looking
for a performance increase. I'm surprised to hear that - due to their
thickness, exhaust manifolds are usually pretty much indestructible.
Is it just the hardware that attaches them to the Y pipe which is
going bad? If so, that can be fixed fairly easily and inexpensively.
I don't recall the actual name for the thing, but you can buy a
"donut/collar" which is a 2 piece deal; it comes apart and you put it
around the Y pipe; the exhaust manifold bolts go through it, which
holds the repair piece together and connects the Y pipe back to the
exhaust manifold. The last time I needed one, I found one in the
exhaust pipe/muffler repair section at Autozone. If its just the
attachment hardware which has rusted out, that's a whole lot cheaper
than new manifolds or headers.

    I may have misunderstood your situation though, since the
piece I am thinking of comes attached to the Y pipe, so new exhaust
manifolds wouldn't help at all if that was the part which is causing
the problem. If I have misunderstood, what is the problem you are
having with the manifolds to cause you to want/need to replace them?

--
                                          -Jon-