Re: $#@# Brakes

Date: Tue Sep 21 2010 - 05:40:12 EDT

Someone else's idiocy turned a job of new pads and rotors and a brake
fluid change into a 3 day ordeal. I've had this happen before, but
mostly due to my own mistakes when I was younger.

My Dad is one of those who does stuff like you mentioned, though. "Get
it driving no matter what" is his motto. He actually wanted to try to
tack weld the pin to the knuckle with his MIG welder. I said no thanks.
  Of course he likes F*rd, so. ;)

I'd have Helicoiled it, but I was already $100 over budget with all the
brake fluid and parts I had to buy, not to mention the 100+ miles I put
on my Dad's spare car driving from parts store to parts store. Plus
I've never had good luck with Helicoils.

Oh, and for the list - the Napa part number for the banjo bolt for the
2nd Gen Dakota front brake caliper is "UP 83210". This is not in Napa's
computers or Autozones or O'Reilly when looking up the Dakota. The Napa
guy found it when I brought in the old one, and he had to dig out one of
their old books and do a sight-comparison.

Also, the part number for the oversize self tapping caliper bolt is "BK
6751539". In Napa's computer it's listed as RWD only, but if they pull
up the part number it cross-references to the 4x4 Dakota. An "indexing
mistake" the guy at the counter said. The same pin is used on a bunch
of Fords, Mazdas and VWs, so I guess Chrysler isn't the only one with
weak threads in the knuckles.

I think this is why all the caliper bolts are allen head now instead of
the old 10mm hex head - most monkeys don't have sockets with allen
heads, so they can't overtorque/crossthread them as easy while using
their $3 set of Harbor Freight allen wrenches to tighten them.

M.B.