Re: RE: $#@# Brakes continued

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2010 - 02:35:50 EDT

M.B. wrote:

> It says they "don't recommend it". I have to find out next time I
> change the pads.

The self tapping bolts are a bandaid fix for when you have to get it
fixed ASAP and can't come up with any other solution. I sell them, but
don't recommend using them over and over. Yet another gripe of mine
with Dodges - poorly designed caliper mountings on Dakotas and others.

> For now at least, the self tapping bolt is in place. I locktited it of
> course.

Smart move with the locktite.

> I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of these "anti-rust" coated rotors or not.
> It took a few stops to get the coating off the face of the rotor. I
> guess we'll see once I get the pads bedded in better.

Please clarify what you mean by "anti-rust" coating... I notice you have
cross drilled slotted discs - so you did not opt for the standard OEM
spec rotors... which could mean that the "anti-rust" coating you speak
of is some high tech cryogenically applied monkey grease developed by
people smarter than I am.

Because in the aftermarket parts houses "anti-rust" coating is a fancy
way of saying the rotors are lightly coated in machine oil. Which needs
to be hosed off with a healthy dose of brake parts cleaner. You never
want oil between your pads and rotors. I have some back yard mechanics
tell me I'm a fool and that the oil gets "burned off" after you drive it
for a while. I've also not been a big fan of "take it out and do hard
braking" to set the pads. Thats a sure fire way in my book to build up
excessive heat, glaze your disc and pad friction surfaces, and warp nice
new fancy rotors. Easy, normal braking is what I have always used on
new brakes I have services, and its what I recommend to customers.

--TerribleTom