Re: $#@# Brakes

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2010 - 02:42:33 EDT

M.B. wrote:

> Well, I got my brakes apart today. Got the driver's side apart and
> found the source of my squeak - some dimbulb prior to myself managed to
> not tighten one of the brake pins, it was about finger tight. Since the
> caliper was shifting around so much the pads wore funny and cracked a
> couple chunks off the caliper piston. No wonder if felt like the brakes
> were dragging a little.
>
> Then I went to take the caliper off to replace it and found this:
>
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/brakes/bad_bolt.jpg

Sweet!!!

I love when stupid people try and do brake jobs. I get to hear and see
a lot of it. Customer bought a truck from some guy - a 1-ton 4x4 dually
dodge... had bad brakes, towed it home. Started digging into it and
discovered that whoever changed the brakes last, must have done calipers
- or hoses or both... either lost the copper washers for the brake
lines... or didnt know any better to use them... and had gunked up a
bunch of RTV Silicone gasket maker to try and seal it.

Had a kid come in once with a vacuum barb fitting double hose clamped
between the two cut ends of a rubber high pressure brake hose...

Add in your frequent "lets just use a compression fitting on the line"
individuals...

just this week - A guy didn't want to spend the $8 bucks on the caliper
tool to rotate the piston back into the bore. (rear caliper on a volvo -
and several others with integrated parking brakes... piston rotates as
well as moves in and out)... tells me he will just make do with a vise
grip pliers...

You have my sympathy for having to deal with the aftermath of someone
else and their ignorance.

--TerribleTom