Re: RE: Alarm headache

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Oct 03 2010 - 11:52:41 EDT

Geezus Brian, I think you might be on to something here! I had no idea
it would be that simple. I mean how hard can it be, right? What I have
available is a LED on the dash, a sticker on the radiator mount that
says there is an alarm, a visible speaker under the hood with no
identifying marks, and a whole bunch of spaghetti undr the dash. Ergo
the headache.

And as far as getting a remote and getting it programmed, piece of cake,
their website says BESTBUY is the "local" distributor and their FAQ on
identifying which model is a joke, here's a direct quote:
"How do I determine the model number of the system in my vehicle?

The model number of your specific system is available on the cover of
the owner’s manual, and can sometimes be found on the original sales
receipt."

Even better, the instructions for buying a new remote:
"I need to purchase an additional/replacement remote. How can I do this
and which one do I need?

There are three ways of identifying which remote you are looking for. On
the back of your original remote there <snip dumb crap>

On older Directed security systems you can determine which remote you
have by identifying the last three numerical digits of the FCC ID #. On
these systems you will usually find these numbers to be 471, 491, 465,
etc. That is the part number of your remote."

I hate, and I truly mean hate companies that have the gall to put up
FAQ's and customer support websites that are so utterly useless. Better
to not have one at all. [note: I am hoping to offend someone here, so
if it's you, deal with it, I am mad]

I just spent 1/2 hour under the dash of this truck trying to track down
a single model number, but rather than being stickers, they are lightly
embossed plastic that I cannot read without taking the whole mess apart,
and I don't really want to disable the truck by unplugging something
vital.

Geez, I am starting to sound like Tom. Meh, guess that's not all bad,
but now I have had a headache for 2 days...