Re: battery temperature sensor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Oct 23 2010 - 14:29:06 EDT

Eric <huffy340@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The battery temperature sensor is also used to determine if
>> certain OBDII tests should be run, like the O2 sensor heater
>> tests, leak detection pump, etc. If the battery temp sensor
>> reads below 20 degrees F, these tests are disabled.

>> ... [and] as an input to the transmission control module (on trucks equipped with an

> Why do they use the battery temperature for those?

> I thought we had air temp sensors on these, which would seem to be
> more related given that batteries get warm when charging.

   The transmission fluid temperature is also used for this purpose.
I'm not sure why they use the battery temp unless maybe its because
the battery is pretty dense and thus not likely to change temp rapidly
with a change in the outside temp so maybe it is considered a more
stable temp than an ambient reading would be?

--
                                          -Jon-