Re: Tonneau

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Nov 01 2010 - 10:56:11 EDT

> Someone added the "factory" fogs with a poor wiring job. Most of the
> wires were disconnected behind the dash panels so I just removed the
> switches. It didn't have factory fogs, no switch for it. Good to know,
> though.

> The black one I'd have to drop the kick panel again to see, and that
> means kneeling in mud at the moment as my nearest garage is 40 minutes
> away. I guess I'll ask again when I can tell people the colors. :) I
> didn't think the 2nd gen had wiring for a brake controller from the
> factory, so it's probably not that. I can't think of any other options
> the truck doesn't have other than power mirrors/door locks/windows and
> the fogs, it's pretty fully optioned other than that (cruise, 4 wheel
> ABS, HD suspension package, etc).

    Yep, no factory wiring for brake controllers on the Gen1/2 as far
as I know, so I believe you are correct about that. I have factory
fog lights on my '96, so the grey connector that you showed in your
pic is connected in my truck. I've got an extra, unused black connector, but
that one is for the factory off road lights, which I do not have on my
truck, plus the connector is different. I dug under my dash but did
not find any connector like the one you pictured. (Then again, '96
was the first year for OBD2, so that may have something to do with why
I don't have that connector, whatever it is.) I did actually find a
connector that looks like the one you pictured in the FSM, but
unfortunately it is not labeled as to its function. I have found that
what this usually means it is not a connector that would plug directly
into a sensor or switch, etc. but rather simply connects to another
wiring harness (such is also the case with the grey connector). So,
even if it is the correct connector, some searching through the FSM
would have to be done to try and find the labeled circuits and wire
colors to figure out exactly what it is supposed to connect to.

--
                                          -Jon-