Re: Bad ball joints?

From: Mike & Sharon Higgins (clearcreek@gobrainstorm.net)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 00:01:43 EST

In order to check for free play in the lower ball joints, you must first
"unload" the joint. You can unload your lower joints only by placing the
jack under the lower control arm, and raising the wheel off the ground,
Then, the only weight on the joint will be the wheel and tire assembly,
along with the upper joint and upper arm. Then, you can place a long bar
under the wheel, and lift the wheel and tire assembly. The total amount of
play is not necessarily just the up and down movement, but more important is
the incidental side-to-side movement that accompanies it. The up-and-down
movement will be obvious, and is the standard measurement used for specs.
When the wheel moves around in the ball socket, the camber, caster, and toe
will change. How much it moves and how quickly it recovers will be the end
result to your driving control. Yes, specifications are given in an exact
figure, and some judgment is expected, but if your movement is greater than
the specs, figure that changing the joints will help.

I disagree that just because you're changing the lowers, you should change
the uppers, too. Usually, when the lower joint is the normally loaded
joint, as the Dakota is, the uppers will last 2 or 3 times longer.

Mike Higgins
1999 Dakota