RE: Maybe the mechanic was right, I do need tires...

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2010 - 22:35:50 EST

Thanks for the ideas. I should have specified, I need all-terrain tires
in P235/75R15, exactly as M.B. guessed. I'm not fussy on the brand, as
long as they have enough traction to get through snow and work in the
summer too.

I checked with the shop I went to last time, and he couldn't find that
tire any more in the catalog. Not sure if they don't carry them any more,
or what. The best he could come up with worked out to just over $600 out
the door for a set of 4, after road hazard, mounting, balancing, valve
stems, taxes, disposal fees, and on and on.

Discount has the Kumhos for $440 (set of 4) shipped with road hazard, of
course that doesn't include mounting or balancing. Same tire at Tire Rack
is $449 for the set (close enough). I do have to wonder if getting a road
hazard warranty that's only good in the US is really worth my while.

Canadian Tire regularly runs "buy one get one 50% off" sales, I just have
to wait for one to come around on the right tires. Usually the purchase
price will be around that $450 mark, then the taxes and other charges
start. It does save me the fuel to drive to NY and four hours of time.

I guess the question is going to be how much the various shops charge for
mount & balance. Sounds like I'm going to be within about 10% whichever
way I go.

Jason

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 08:34:59 -0600, "Brian" <hskr@cox.net> wrote:
> FWIW, there are more places to shop online than Tire Rack and with
better
> prices/shipping. Just got a set of new tires fro my Charger from
www.onlinetires.com <http://www.onlinetires.com/> that were almost half
the
> price for the same exact tire on Tire Rack, and over ΒΌ of the price of
the
> local tire shops. www.tires-easy.com and www.discounttiredirect.com
<http://www.discounttiredirect.com/> are a couple other places to shop
at.
> Look around and compare prices. Depending on the tire, it seems one
place
> it always cheaper than the other, but not necessarily the same place
each
> time.
> brian cropp
> _____
> From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net
> [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of M.B. Sent:
Friday, November 26, 2010 10:16 PM
> To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
> Subject: Re: DML: Maybe the mechanic was right, I do need tires... I'm
assuming 4x4 considering your weather conditions, and an OE tire size of
235/75/15, but...
> For the low end, a Kumho A/T tire for $86/tire + shipping:
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Ventu
re+AT+KL78&partnum=375SR5KL78OWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMak
> e=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModClar=>
&tireModel=Road+Venture+AT+KL78&partnum=375SR5KL78OWL&vehicleSearch=true&fro
mCompare1=yes&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModCla
> r=
> The Yoko Geolandar A/T-S for $89 is a good deal too:
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geoland
ar+A%2FT-S&partnum=375SR5GEOATSOWLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&aut
> oMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModClar=>
&tireModel=Geolandar+A%2FT-S&partnum=375SR5GEOATSOWLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fr
omCompare1=yes&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModCl
> ar=
> For mid-range the General Tire Grabber AT 2 is like a BFG A/T with
deeper tread for a lower price ($105/tire):
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+
AT+2&partnum=375SR5GRAT2OWLLT&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=D
> odge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModClar=>
&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2&partnum=375SR5GRAT2OWLLT&vehicleSearch=true&fromComp
are1=yes&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModClar=
> On the high end we have a Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 for $122/tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Duel
er+A%2FT+Revo+2&partnum=375TR5REVO2OWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&a
> utoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModClar=>
&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo+2&partnum=375TR5REVO2OWL&vehicleSearch=true&fro
mCompare1=yes&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModCla
> r=
> Or if you want to pay for the brand name, the classic BFG All-terrain
T/A KO for $126/tire:
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-T
errain+T%2FA+KO&partnum=375SR5ATAKORWLV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes
> &autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoModClar=>
&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&partnum=375SR5ATAKORWLV2&vehicleSearch=true&
fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Dodge&autoYear=1994&autoModel=Dakota%204wd&autoMod
> Clar=
> Shipping is a beast on these tires I know, but you avoid sales taxes and
you're going to pay the same high price for a mount/balance in most
stores these days if you buy the tires from them or not...
> With Tire rack I don't often consider going to local tire stores
anymore, their markup is just too high and then they hit you with the
$16-18/tire mounting fee on top of it and then add sales tax.
> And of course, Costco has it's perpetual $75 off a set of 4 Bridgestones
deal if there's one in your area if you want to stay local.