Maybe the mechanic was right, I do need tires...

From: Jason Bleazard (jason.dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2010 - 11:30:46 EST

I figured the shop was just trying to sell me an expensive set of tires
last time I was there. But after getting sideways on an unremarkable
little patch of ice this morning, I'm starting to think maybe they have a
point.

I got curious and checked my records. Three tires I've had since June
2002, and they're over 84,000 miles. The fourth I got in October 2007,
it's just under 31,000 mi. And then there's the spare... factory original
since September 1994.

So, yeah, I guess it's time. I guess what I'll do is get a set of four
new tires, and move the one I had to buy in 2007 to the spare.

Just what I need, another expense... I guess it's cheaper than sliding
off the road, though.

Anyone know of any fantastic deals? Three years ago I paid $90 for one
tire in Dunkirk, NY (about two hours away). I'm going to call them again
to see what their current price is. I can get some locally for about
$115-120 each depending on the current sale, but of course then I get to
pay 13% Ontario sales tax plus the extra environmental taxes. I'll have
to see if the price difference is worth spending most of a day driving to
Dunkirk and back.