Re: Maybe the mechanic was right, I do need tires...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 00:04:24 EST

"Mike & Sharon Higgins" <clearcreek@gobrainstorm.net> wrote:

> I have used 235/70Rx15 on my 99 Dakota for the past 5 years. I am using
> Durango 15x6 wheels. I sure do enjoy the handling and sure grip with the
> extra tread width. I've always used a Directional tread pattern. The only
> tires that didn't quite make it through the second season were the
> Bridgestone Blizzak's. They got just a bit too thin about January of the
> second season after using them all summer, too. But the Goodrich Radial
> T/A's were good for two, and the Firestone Winterforce made it through ½ of
> last year, and still look like new.

Yikes! Throw those snow tires on a set of cheap rims (or your stock
rims, if you've still got 'em) so that you can go back to your normal
tires once the snow goes away. Winter tires are super soft by
necessity and will have an abysmal tread life if you run them all year
long. Even if you have to purchase a set of cheapie (or used) rims
for the snow tires, you'll be money ahead in no time.

You could pay a shop to mount and balance them every year of course,
but at about $10 per tire twice a year, you can pick up a set of used
rims for less than the cost of mounting and balancing for a single
year. By leaving them on the rims you can just slap them on the truck
anytime you want without having to pay a shop. You can probably get
several seasons out of those snow tires if you restrict their use to
winter driving only.

--
                                          -Jon-