Re: OT computer problems

From: Mike Sykes (mikesykes@cox.net)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2011 - 23:28:45 EST

>>Trying to decide if it's something dead on the mobo that's drawing down
>>and killing the PSU or if there is something else I should be thinking
>>about?<<

It's probably not the power supply. Sounds to me like the mother board has
an issue preventing it from reading the hdd and optical drive. If your
onboard ethernet went out, that's usually a sign of bigger issues to come.
The beeps Josh was referring to don't require speakers, they'll come from
the tower itself. If you aren't getting beeps then your motherboard is
seeing the RAM and CPU fine, but without a hdd or optical drives you won't
make it far past post if at all. I'd start shopping for a new PC to be
honest. Replacing motherboards isn't really all that cost effective anymore
given that a new PC is around $600 and will blow an older one out of the
water.

- miggity

00' R/T CC.
DMLer since 1996.