Re: Which base to build on?

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2011 - 17:02:17 EDT

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 16:31, Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

> I'm seriously thinking of trying to get a race rig together for the new King of the Hammers stock class.
>
> The engine has to match model and year, suspension of stock type, wheelbase within 3", full frame full body.  So I'm really thinking about a Grand Cherokee to get a good wheelbase, link suspension, and a V8.
>
> The question is - I have a '99 Grand in my driveway.  I could get a 4.7 for it and run that.  Or I could go for a '98 Cherokee and run a 360.
>
> These races are both rock crawling and desert racing.
>
> Motor probably would be pretty stock for the first season but it would be nice to have the option to "build" it.  I know I can go nuts on the 318/360 with roller valvetrains, M1 intakes, stroker cranks... What's out there for the 4.7?
>

> I really don't know much about the 4.7. Or the 5-45rfe that may end up behind it. Beefy enough to race? would a 46RE bolt up to a 4.7? I don't know if bellhousing patterns changed....

I don't think 5-45FRE came along until at least one, maybe 2 or 3
years after the 4.7L came out. Sure, it was just a TCM programming
change, but if they're serious about making sure the parts all match,
it could be an important distinction.

The hardware itself is stout; the same tranny goes behind the HEMI in
the 3/4-ton and 1-ton Rams.