Which base to build on?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2011 - 16:31:35 EDT

I'm seriously thinking of trying to get a race rig together for the new King of the Hammers stock class.

The engine has to match model and year, suspension of stock type, wheelbase within 3", full frame full body. So I'm really thinking about a Grand Cherokee to get a good wheelbase, link suspension, and a V8.

The question is - I have a '99 Grand in my driveway. I could get a 4.7 for it and run that. Or I could go for a '98 Cherokee and run a 360.

These races are both rock crawling and desert racing.

Motor probably would be pretty stock for the first season but it would be nice to have the option to "build" it. I know I can go nuts on the 318/360 with roller valvetrains, M1 intakes, stroker cranks... What's out there for the 4.7?

I really don't know much about the 4.7. Or the 5-45rfe that may end up behind it. Beefy enough to race? would a 46RE bolt up to a 4.7? I don't know if bellhousing patterns changed....

Mike
you can't loose with fortytwos